Friday, May 20, 2011

Kyla Robyn

Good things come to those that wait...I can testify to that! Kyla Robyn made her entrance into the world at 12:46 AM on Friday morning May 20th (officially 14 days past her due date!)    I had been holding off hoping and praying for a natural delivery but I was getting to the end of my options as the midwives were getting antsy and wanted me to set an induction date.  My parents had come into town on the 11th (assuming that 5 days past my due date would be a safe time to be here for the birth...luckily they decided to stay for almost two weeks!!).  We got to see all of Bedford, Lynchburg, and other surrounding areas as we waited for her arrival.  I bounced on balls, ate spicy food, got membranes stripped, hiked the Blue Ridge Mountains-- to no avail.  We set the induction date for Friday the 20th at 6 AM.  One nice thing about giving birth is realizing how much of it is in the Lord's hands.  He knew best when it came to the whole experience and when would be best for her to come.  Teaching me patience and trust-- after on and off powerful contractions for the past 2+ months and starting to feel like I'd never go into labor on my own --Thursday night came.  Contractions came and continued to build all day.  Although they never got consistent, they definitely got more painful!  At 10 pm I decided these ones actually might not fade away.  We got to the hospital at about 11 pm and decided to wait until after midnight (so they wouldn't charge us for an additional day in the hospital! :)  By midnight, we were filling out paperwork and the contractions got right on top of each other.  It was almost identical to my experience with Cooper and I knew things would happen pretty fast from this point.  I got upstairs as fast as I could between contractions.  At 12:15 they were rushing to IV me, ask the 126 health history questions, and set up the equipment.  I was quickly remembering how PAINFUL the end of labor is!  30 minutes and 3 pushes later- Kyla Robyn entered the world!


We were all able to sleep a little and had some wonderful visitors a few hours later Friday morning.  The boys were so cute and so excited to see their sister they had been waiting soooo long for.  Kyla and her Nana had an immediate bond (not just because of her middle name! ;)  It was so nice to have my mom and dad there to help take care of the kids and the house.  We miss you already! THANK YOU!!!

We didn't have a first name for her going into the hospital (not for lack of time to think of one!)  We had a few options, but couldn't decide.  Rudy went home Friday night and asked each of the boys at separate times what they wanted her name to be.  Tucker told Rudy her name was Kyla and Cooper chose Kyla from the list Rudy gave him.  So, Kyla it is!
I'm not a fan of hospitals (although the room service and chocolate shakes were AWESOME! :)  My wonderful nurse was so cute at fighting my cause to get out early.  I was able to leave Saturday morning and head back home...and then out to the local strawberry festival and out to dinner. :)

Part of having my parents come out was really wanting them to be there for the blessing.  We had originally planned on her being a couple weeks old on the 22nd, not two days... oh well!  We were able to bless Kyla two days after she was born (hey, we avoided the blessing rash this way! :)  Rudy gave her a wonderful blessing.  Ginny let us borrow her beautiful dress she used for her daughter who shares the same great middle name.  Thanks Gin and Nicole! :) 
I know babies aren't supposed to be able to knowingly smile for a few weeks after they're born...but she sure has fooled us a few times already with her smiles!  Kyla is such a joy to have in our home!  It's crazy to think she's not even 5 days old yet!! Her temperament is peaceful and happy and she's only waking up once in the night to feed! We're all so glad she's a part of our family and are excited to continue to get to know this wonderful little girl!  We love you Kyla!

12 comments:

Aaron & Drew Rucker said...

congratulations you guys!!! 2 boys and then a girl...could it get more perfect? glad everything went well with the delivery. (oh and found your blog off jon and lissa's, hope you don't mind)

Alicia said...

She's beautiful!

Our Family said...

Congrats! She is adorable and you are great for getting up and going so soon after the birth! You look great and as beautiful as ever. Em

jaredandjen said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful.

Rucker Family said...

OMG! She is SO cute! I'm so glad she decided to come and that the delivery was fast for ya. I love, love, love the name! So glad your parents could be there for everything too. Hopefully we'll get to meet her this summer. Love you guys!

Koreen said...

Kyla is so precious! Congratulations!

Sarah said...

She's beautiful! I can't believe you lasted 2 weeks past your due date! I think I would have gone crazy! I didn't know anyone let you go more than a week over! I understand the wanting to do it naturally though...I was the same with Olivia but luckily I was only 2 days over due and that was plenty! Glad your parents were there. Hope things are going well with the transition to 3! You look fabulous!!!

jaredandjen said...

She's adorable. You look awesome. I can't believe you were going to church two days after having a baby. You're amazing!

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

What a beauty! She is totally smiling- what a great family she came too. Congrats!

Lisa/Scott said...

Congrats!!! She is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Beautiful!!!

Ginny said...

even though i knew all of this...I still cried as I read it. i love you...love her...and can't wait to meet her in person!

...Mrs. Baker, Tschuss! said...

Not having a name picked out before going to the hospital--this is turning into a bad habit for you guys lol. I think it's kind of funny when people ask if we've got a name yet and I have to say in my head "I've had this name picked out since before I knew her father lol"